well as of the American Physical Society. Dr. Bhaumik's current interest is in sharing with the public the astounding advances in quantum physics and cosmology and their implications for our lives, work, technology, and spiritual development. This he endeavors to do through books, articles, lectures, and TV programs. He is also keenly interested in research on the origin and the nature of consciousness and how that knowledge can be utilized in improving the quality of our existence.
Bhaumik was born in a primitive Indian village, and thrust into the vortex of the struggle for Indian independence . Education provided him a way out of the crushing cycle of poverty. He walked four miles barefoot to the nearest school, enduring famine, flood, and armed threat. As an impressionable teenage, he and his family had the opportunity to live and labor with Mahatma Gandhi in his camp, and to absorb lessons about “faith in action” that would return to him later. He received a Bachelor of Science degree from the renowned Scottish Church College and an M. Sc. from the University of Calcutta . Life, however, remained a great struggle until his passion for science began to win him honors and mentors like Satyendra Nath Bose at IIT (co-creator of the Bose-Einstein Statistics) who encouraged his prodigious curiosity. Bhaumik earned a Ph.D in Physics from IIT ( Indian Institute of Technology ). His thesis was on Resonant Electronic Energy Transfers, a subject he would have cause to use in his work with lasers.
Receiving a Sloan Foundation Fellowship in 1959, Dr. Bhaumik came to the University of California Los Angeles (UCLA) for post doctoral studies. In 1961, he joined the Quantum Electronics Division at Xerox Electro-Optical Systems in Pasadena and began his career as a laser scientist. Con-currently, he also taught Quantum physics and Astronomy at the California State University at Long Beach . In 1968, he was enlisted by the Northrop Corporate Research Laboratory, where he rose to become the director of the Laser Technology Laboratory and led the team responsible for the development of the excimer laser technology.
Dr. Bhaumik has published over fifty papers in various professional journals and is a holder of a dozen laser-related U.S. patents. His latest paper, Unified Field--the Universal Blueprint? appeared in the February 2000 issue of the International Journal of Mathematics and Mathematical Sciences. He has been invited to lecture all over the world, at forums including: Summer School on High-Power Gas Lasers, Capri, Italy 1975; International Symposium on Gas-Flow and Chemical Lasers, Belgium 1978; International Symposium on Gas Discharge Lasers, Grenoble, France 1979; Asoke Sarkar Memorial Lecture, Calcutta International Book Fair 2001; Institute of Culture, Calcutta, India 2006; Netaji Subhas Open University, Calcutta, India 2008.
Books, media, and philanthropic activity
of significant papers, and led him to the inference that the One Source at the hub of all spiritual traditions is grounded in scientific reality and not a mere creation of blind faith. He also argues forcefully that contrary to the popular misconception, science and spirituality are indeed two sides of the same coin, the coin being that unique human consciousness that allows us to perceive both ourselves and objective reality. Therefore, he argues in his international bestseller Code Name God (Crossroads Publishing), the big divide between science and spirituality can be bridged. The trick, Bhaumik asserts, is to see things in an entirely new light–a light shed upon by the recent revelations of quantum physics and cosmology.
||Dr. Bhaumik arrived in Los Angeles , having just three dollars in his pocket. Utilizing earnings from his scientific career to seed various investments, he was at last able to leave the poverty of his childhood behind. His phenomenal success was chronicled on the syndicated TV serial, Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous. Eventually, when no material attainment seemed beyond him, he discovered that spirituality is an essential ingredient for an abiding happiness and turned his considerable energy to the study of the relationship between advanced science and spirituality.
His intensive search spanned a decade, produced a number
| He now devotes much of his time and energy to bringing this message to the public, including its younger members, for whom he has recently published The Cosmic Detective (Penguin 2008), a primer on cosmology, and created an award winning animated television series, Quantum Ray, shown on DISH Network's Animania channel and distributed worldwide.
Dr. Bhaumik has instituted an annual International Award through the UCLA Neuropsychiatry Institute to acknowledge the best scientific evidence demonstrating the effect of mind in healing. He has been involved in numerous community activities through his association with the Los Angeles Bombay Sister City Association; the Los Angeles St. Petersburg Sister City association; the Long Beach Calcutta sister City Association and others. He has donated to various charitable organizations including the Thalians of Los Angeles and the Israel Cancer Research Fund. But he is perhaps best known and revered internationally for his creation of the Bhaumik Educational Foundation, based in Calcutta , which provides full scholarships to needy but brilliant students who wish to apply themselves to studies in science and technology.
Honors and awards
• Elected fellow of the American Physical Society for Advancement of Physics, 1976
• Elected fellow of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers for development of high power lasers and new laser systems, 1982
• Elected to the prestigious Cosmos Club, Washington , D.C.
• Elected Member of the scientific honor society, Sigma Xi, Los Angeles
• Received Honorary D.Sc degree for Lifetime Academic Achievements from Indian Institute of Technology, 1995
• Received Lifetime Achievement Award, North America Bengali association, Los Angeles , 2003
• Honored by the Cultural Association of Bengal for Philanthropic Services to community, New York , 2005
• Received Mahatma Gandhi Humanitarian Award from Indian American Heritage Foundation presented by Sir Ben Kingsley, Beverly Hills , 2005
• Received Award for Outstanding Achievement in Science and Philanthropic Contribution from Asian Heritage Committee, New York , 2006
• Elected fellow of the Asiatic Society, Calcutta , India , 2006
• Listed in Who's Who in America and in Who's who in the World
• Listed in the American Men and Women in Science
Selected appearances on radio and television
1. Voice of America , May 25, 2005
2. PBS Syndicated TV program “Between The Lines” , June 17
3. Syndicated Cable Program “Bridging Heaven and Earth” Sept 15
4. Jim Engster Show, New Orleans , Louisiana May 13
5. “Wake up America ”, Palm Springs, California May 14
6. Joey English Show, Palm Springs , California May 19
7. “Journey Home”, KSFR, Santa Fe , New Mexico July 11& 19
8. “The Aware Show”, KPFK, Los Angeles November 10
9. Durdarshan Indian National TV, 2005,2006,2007
10. Reach MD XM 157, 2007.
• President, Cosmogenics,Inc., an educational foundation based in Los Angeles , which donates seed money to educational projects.
• Founding Director, Friends of Kolkata Museum of Arts, Inc., Los Angeles , set up for raising funds to support the museum in Calcutta .
• Founder of the annual Bhaumik International Award at UCLA for the best scientific evidence demonstrating effect of mind on healing.
• Managing Trustee, Moni Bhaumik Educational foundation in Calcutta , India . The Foundation provides full financial support for university education of over one hundred highly meritorious but extremely underprivileged students from rural Bengal . It is now in the process of building an IT oriented University there for providing a world class graduate and post-graduate education.
Due to his extraordinary achievements Dr. Bhaumik is revered in his native West Bengal , where a book length biography, Mani the Jewel , has been a consistent bestseller.