Digha is the most popular vacation destination, particularly for people from Kolkata . For a weekend outing from Kolkata one of the best destination.
How to reach :-
There are frequent bus services to Digha from Dharamtala bus stand of Kolkata and many other parts of West Bengal. It is almost a 5 hour journey from Kolkata. There is one bus service from Kudghat Bus Stand daily 2 buses are going to digha at 6 am and 8.30 am people who are traveling from the area of Tollygunge, Behela, Garia are advice to take the bus from there.
There are daily trains from Shalimar railway station and there are a few trains from Howrah too. Sometimes special trains are announced on special occasions and holidays. Notice for such trains come on widely circulated newspapers.
Shalimar-Digha Express (2867) starts from Shalimar at 07:55 AM and comes to Santragachi at 08:05 am. Fare is Rs 56 for general class and around Rs 70 for Chair car reservation. From Digha the same train comes back at 1.30 pm and the ticket counter at Digha closes five minutes before the scheduled departure of the train. On Sundays there are 2 trains returning to Kolkata. One at 1.30 PM (2868A) and another at 6PM. Also, both the trains on Sunday go directly to Howrah rather than Shalimar which save a lot of pain getting down at Santragachi and haggling with cab drivers.
It is advisable to make advanced reservations for weekends and national holidays.
The new train No is 2867 SHM Digha Rxpress (MON-SAT) and 2867A HWH DIGHA EXP (SUN).
What to see :-
- New Digha Beach .
- Talsari Beach .
- Temple at Chandaneswar .
- Marine Station/Aquarium of Zoological Survey of India . This is possibly the most well equipped marine aquarium in India, but the collection of specimens are poor. Some local common fishes are kept in this huge aquarium. There is no entry fee for the aquarium as on November 2005.
What to Buy :-
- Ornaments Made of Sea Shells
- Curios Made of Sea Shells
- Hand woven mats Made of weeds These mats are called "Madur" in Bengali and colorful Madurs of Midnapur District are famous.
- Cashewnuts . There is a cashewnut farm in Digha and cashewnuts are cheaper here than other places of West Bengal.
What to Eat :-
There are many cheap "rice hotels" all over Digha, serving cheap, but good quality Bengali dishes. There are some more expensive restaurants where continental food is available. In an average restaurant, vegeterian meal is available for Rs. 12-15, Bengali Fish curry-rice is available for Rs. 18-20. Meal with egg curry-rice is available around Rs. 15.
Another great idea would be to just buy the staple vegetarian fare at the hotel you are staying and have it delivered to your room. You can buy fresh fishes like ilish, pomfret, parshe, prawn etc. from Mohona, Digha fish market in the morning and have it cooked at the numerous "Dada-Boudi'r" joints around Sea Hawk. Have this fish with your standard vegetarian lunch or dinner. It is economical and funky.
Look for fried fish on the sea front in Digha, in the evening.
Those who are fussy about the quality of cooking, have transport at their command and are looking for real tasty fish preparations should go and have lunch at Shankarpur , some 14 km away - they prepare the fish much better than at Digha. The quality at Shankarpur is comparable to the Kolkata 5-star but is comparatively cheaper and the fish as fresh as you can demand. The trouble of travelling would be well compensated.
- State Youth Hostel , at New Digha. Doubles with attached baths are Rs. 225/- per day. Booking can be done in Directorate of Youth Services, 32/1, B.B.D. Bag (South), Kolkata. +91 33 2248 0626.
- Digha Tourist Lodge Booking can be done from Tourism Centre at 3/2, B.B.D. Bagh (East), Kolkata, +91 33 2243 7260, +91 33 2248 8271, +91 33 22485168. Dormitory beds Rs 100, doubles Rs 300,550,600,550 ( 4 Bed),700(DAB AC), Rs 900(DAB AC).
- Minalay and Minakshi of Benfish. AC double bed rooms Rs 550, non-AC doubles Rs 250, dormitory with 5 beds Rs 250.
- Saikatabas . It is under the Development and Planning Department, Government of West Bengal.
- Hotel Sea Hawk . One of the few places in town that doesn't hike up their prices as demand increases. Food is good and room services standard. From Rs 400 for a ground-floor sea-facing double up to Rs 1500 for an a/c double bed.
- Hotel Sea Coast , Barrester colony old Digha . checkin: 12 Noon ; checkout: 11.45 AM . Star Hotel Conference Room, bar & multicuisine restaurant sea facing rooms & family rooms also available. Rs 1000, 1400 & 2200 .
- Hotel Gitanjali , +91 32 2026 6204. Doubles for Rs 550 and Rs 850 are good. If you are in a group the 4 bed room at Rs 1000 is really amazing.
- Hotel Sonar Bangla , 400 500 600 AC 700 800 Six bed 800
- The Palm Resort , . Probably the only resort in Digha with a swimming pool, gym, lake, lawns and villas.
- Hotel Rajmahal . The less expensive yet quality hotel with restaurant near to sea beach. Rs 500-1500.
- Hotel sonar Bangla , Hotel Samudra Samrat & Hotel Laraca Holiday Inn 400 to 3000 Kolkata booking 033 329=53360 098310=12240