Coordinates: 22°02'N 88°04'E? / ?22.03, 88.06
Haldia is a city and a municipality in Purba Medinipur in the Indian state of West Bengal. It is a major seaport located approximately 50 kilometers southwest of Calcutta near the mouth of the Hooghly River, one of the distributaries of the Ganges. The population in 2001 was 170,695.
Haldia is being developed as a major trade port for Calcutta, intended mainly for bulk cargoes. The industrial city has several factories, including South Asian Petrochemicals Limited, Indian Oil Corporation Limited (IOCL), Exide, Shaw Wallace, Tata Chemicals, Petrochemical complex (Haldia Petrochemical) and Hindustan Lever, in addition to various light industries. The port has attracted factories of foreign companies, like Mitsubishi Chemical Company (MCC). A large number of companies are also being set up now, Dredging Corporation of India Limited (DCI), primarily being ancillary industries to the Haldia Petrochemicals. The Haldia Petrochemicals is the second largest project of such kind in India. Mr.S.K. Bhowmik is the Managing Director and Mr. Ujjal de is the V.P & Head-Marketing.
The Haldia Township is bordered by the Haldi River an offshoot of the Ganges River. The riverside in Haldia is a favorite destination for residents and one can see people strolling down the riverside during the evenings. A catamaran service direct from Kolkata to Haldia was in service. It was later withdrawn due to its high price and decreasing number of passengers.
Haldia is also a base of Indian Coast Guard. There is a hover-port to house two of the six hovercrafts belonging to the Indian Coast Guard.
Climate : - The climate of Haldia is a typical moderate one with winter temperatures
ranging from a low of around 7 degrees Celsius to a high of 22 degrees Celsius.
Winters are chilly and pleasant and it is also the festival time for inhabitants
here with the Haldia Utsav taking place during the same time. Summers on the other hand can be very hot and humid. Usual summer temperatures in May, the hottest month range from a low of 24 degrees to highs around 42 degrees. Rainfall is heavy during monsoons, and the rainy months are between May and September.
Transportation : - The transportation system of Haldia is extremely well developed and it is
connected to Kolkata by both bus and train. Recent efforts have seen
introduction of new air conditioned buses which takes less than three hours from
the place to Kolkata. In terms of local transport cars, bikes, auto rickshaws
and specially bi cycles are the most common means.
- The main schools are Haldia Govt. Spon. Vivekanada Vidyabhaban, Vivekananda mission, St. Xaviers High School, Poura Path Bhavan, Assembly of God Church School and Kendriya Vidyalaya.
- An engineering college named "Haldia Institute of Technology".Central Library, Haldia Institute of Technology, Totally Digitized and Barcoded. About 43000 Books and 181 National and International Journals. It is currently under technical university.
- There is a Law college. The link for it "Haldia Law College"
- There is a Paramedical College. Link for it "Haldia Paramedical College"
- There is another college name Global Institute of Science and Technology. Link for this "GIST"
- There are two Hotel Management college.
- There is an Engineering college of Central Govt. named Central Institute of Plastics Engineering and Technology. Link is CIPET
- There is an Industrial Training Institute. Another one is under construction.
- There is a diploma engineering college also.
- A medical college will start soon. Already started under ICARE named as Dr B C ROY Hospital, Banbishnupur: Balughata : Haldia of 750 beded Air Condition Hospital. Under that 500 beds teaching Hospital and 250 beds hi-tech super-specialty hospital.
- Haldia Institute of Dental Science & Research,DCI Affiliated Dental College. Central Library having 2800 Books & 19 journals. Totally Digitized collection,barcoaded books, Fully Airconditioned Digital Library,E-Book, E- journals,Bradband Internet facility Library.
The township has lot of open space and so one can see a lot of sporting activities, the primarily being soccer and cricket. The schools have really large playgrounds and enthusiasm among both elders and juniors are palpable during weekend matches. Haldia is going to get Bengal's second "International Cricket Stadium" after "Eden Garden". Here for development of football two big association has been operating named IFA (Indian Football Association) and TFA (Tata Football Academy).
A new project called Haldia International Sports City is under construction. It is first of its kind in India. Shristi Infrastructure Development Corporation Ltd, a subsidiary of Srei Capital is the developer. It would have.......
- An International Cricket Stadium with all modern facilities. Seat capacity 35000.
- An Indoor Stadium. Seat capacity 5000.
- Two practice grounds.
- A 50-meter swimming pool for sports.
- A "Sports Training Academy" with 100 rooms hostel.
- A gymnasium.
- Thirteen storied residential apartments.
- Health care centre.
- An Entertainment Area.
- Shopping Mall.
- School of finance and education.
- A Club house.
- Business Hotel.
- Office complexes with IT companies.
and many more...........
Time of completion 5 years.
Haldia Township :- It is divided into more than 24 clusters and most of these have quarter arrangements for employees of different companies.
Durgachak :- This place is heart of Haldia. Working families, business men stay here. Schools, Stores for shopping, offices,banks, Govt offices, hotels all are located here. People of this area are cool and simple. Four most happening places in Durgachak are - CPT Market, Super Market, New Market, Manjushree. Big Bazar is situated in Akash Ganga Mall,Regent Millennium Tower.